Skip to main content

true love

"Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul." Psalm 143:8


Just yesterday, I read this verse and as if in a whisper within my heart, I prayed that I would sense God's love for me in a new way.  And, as only God can do, He did just that.  This very morning, our ladies' Bible study topic was God's love.  This post would be neverending if I could put into words all that God did to refresh my spirit in just an hour's time.  
One thing, though, that Beth Moore said, based on 1 John 4:7-19 (hmm...sounds familiar), is that love is God's "is-ness".  I think that is just hilarious, but so profound at the same time.  He is love.  In order for me to give and receive true love, it first comes from God.  I must abide in Him and He in me for love to flow out of my heart.  
I then wondered, if asked to fill in this blank..."Janet is ______."...what would people say?  What do people think my "is-ness" is?  That's a dangerous question to ask, knowing full well of my weaknesses and failures in day to day living.  It's comforting to know that no matter what "is-ness" I'm portraying, that love covers a multitude of sins (1 Peter 4:8).  By God's loving act of giving His only Son to die for my sins, he covers me and my failures at trying to meet the standards for living a life pleasing to Him. 
Another thing that spoke to my heart is that God wants the firstfruits of my love.  My choicest love must be given to Him.  Before I can truly love anyone else, my priority is to love Him the most.  Notice the order of the two most important commandments according to Mark 12:29-31. "The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these." Only after we love God, are able to love each other.
This has been an ongoing lesson in my life since Alaska '08...God helped me to realize that He is the source from which I get everything I need.  (Matthew 6:33; 2 Peter 1:3)  If He's not first, I'm not my best...and because I am imperfect even at my best, I am still prone to fail.  Praise God for His love that covers me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#TransformationTuesday

"But God has surely listened and has heard my prayer."  Psalm 66:19 As one who has struggled with weight all of my life, seeing the ups and downs in jean sizes became my reality.  I would lose some pounds only to face a stressor in life and see them return and bring friends along for the ride.  I spent years believing lies, yet secretly hoping for a better reality.  Lies that I am not capable of overcoming my sweet tooth and that I am just not the workout type, topped the list.  I have never really lacked self esteem or self confidence; I know who I am.  However, I know from personal experience, others define me by what they first see.  Having been a plus-size lady for years, I was treated differently, intentionally or not, when I dropped pounds. My health journey to where I am today began back in 2010. It is amazing that things do not happen accidentally, even if they seem to in the beginning. Actually, as the pieces of my story have come together, this story begins w

L.E.N.S. photo challenge: learning spaces

 Join in on the photo challenge fun at Home Is Where You Start From . 

anchored

My word for 2018.  Anchored. To keep from drifting. Representative of stability and strength. Connected. Held.  Grounded.  Positioned.  Fixed. Movable. Small, yet, essential part of a bigger entity. It is a standard by which to live; a goal for which to strive. Anchored.