Skip to main content

Who I am vs. Whose I am

20130624_152727Today I am encouraged by two awesome moments in the Bible...
Isaiah 6:1-8
In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. And they were calling to one another:
“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty;
the whole earth is full of his glory.”
At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.
“Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”Then one of the seraphim flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. With it he touched my mouth and said, “See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for.”Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”
and
20130624_152434Acts 9:1-15
Meanwhile, Saul was still breathing out murderous threats against the Lord’s disciples. He went to the high priest and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, so that if he found any there who belonged to the Way, whether men or women, he might take them as prisoners to Jerusalem. As he neared Damascus on his journey, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?”
“Who are you, Lord?” Saul asked.
“I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,” he replied. “Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.”
The men traveling with Saul stood there speechless; they heard the sound but did not see anyone. Saul got up from the ground, but when he opened his eyes he could see nothing. So they led him by the hand into Damascus. For three days he was blind, and did not eat or drink anything.
In Damascus there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord called to him in a vision, “Ananias!”
“Yes, Lord,” he answered.
The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.”
"Lord,” Ananias answered, “I have heard many reports about this man and all the harm he has done to your holy people in Jerusalem. And he has come here with authority from the chief priests to arrest all who call on your name.”
But the Lord said to Ananias, “Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel.
20130624_152159Why encouraged?
God uses the greatest of sinners, those of unclean lips...forgiven, saved by grace, redeemed...to do His work.
I know this to be true, for I am one of them.
God is that good.
20130624_152514

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#TransformationTuesday

"But God has surely listened and has heard my prayer."  Psalm 66:19 As one who has struggled with weight all of my life, seeing the ups and downs in jean sizes became my reality.  I would lose some pounds only to face a stressor in life and see them return and bring friends along for the ride.  I spent years believing lies, yet secretly hoping for a better reality.  Lies that I am not capable of overcoming my sweet tooth and that I am just not the workout type, topped the list.  I have never really lacked self esteem or self confidence; I know who I am.  However, I know from personal experience, others define me by what they first see.  Having been a plus-size lady for years, I was treated differently, intentionally or not, when I dropped pounds. My health journey to where I am today began back in 2010. It is amazing that things do not happen accidentally, even if they seem to in the beginning. Actually, as the pieces of my story have come ...

home of the Braves

As a metro Atlanta resident, it seems almost a requirement to go to a Braves game to continue living here.  I grew up watching baseball and loving the game...and have been to a few games in St. Louis, Cincinnati, Detroit...and of course, Atlanta.  The problem for me going to a Braves game is purely mental...having been a Mets and Cardinals fan for years, I just haven't the love necessary for the Braves to call me a fan. However, as with many things in life that I haven't particularly enjoyed over the years, my boys make it so worth my time and heart.  I go watch the Braves because I love my boys...and my boys and I love baseball.  Well, they love what they know of the game...still in training, but getting the hang of the lingo and SOP's of a baseball fan rather well. There are a few things that remain the same from stadium to stadium..."the wave" (Braves' attendees do not always get into this, which is very di...

3 in 30 Check In: Minor Technicalities

Having a great month...getting things accomplished and finding myself excited that the newness of 2011 hasn't worn off yet is so awesome. Closets are all cleaned out but mine...getting to the last one of six feels great and I cannot wait to rummage through it. As for making it to the Y three times...thanks to our ice and a minor back injury , that hasn't happened, but I have a chance tomorrow and Saturday to make it there at least twice this week.  So looking forward to it, even if I walk a little funny getting there. And, there are plans in the making of a new endeavor for me to use a newly acquired skill to bless others.  Baby steps of hope in the right direction. And, I've had a chance to think ahead to next month's goals...can't wait!  Thank you, God, for a wonderful week!