Skip to main content

Grandpa's Tree

"A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart."
~Author Unknown

Earlier this year, while we were visiting Grandma and Grandpa Miller, Alex discovered a little cedar tree growing in a can behind the house.  Excitedly, he showed my mom and I his treasure and asked why it was in a can.  Mom told him that Grandpa Miller had put the tree in that can about a year ago.  He has watered and tended to the little tree, not really having a plan for it, though.
Alex's question was, "Can I have it?"
We sent him to find Grandpa Miller to ask him.
Of course, the answer was yes.
So, the little tree came home with us to Georgia.  And, has sat in that can, being watered and tended to by Alex (and the rest of the fam) all summer long.  
This week, however, the tree was given a newer, bigger, although still temporary, home.
We are in the process of selling our house.  We are also in the process of building a new one.  Alex did not want to plant the tree at the house we are leaving, so we have to wait and see where a good place for the little tree will be at the new location.  Until we move, too, we cannot plant it in the ground or we'd have to go over and water it everyday.  Not possible. 
Therefore, until sometime in the spring, the little tree has a new home in a larger flower pot.  
I had to smile when we were visiting at Grandpa's a couple of weeks ago and he told Scott of my tree on their property.  "Janet's Tree" he called it.  When I was little, not for sure of my age, Grandpa had a little tree and asked me to help him plant it.  He/we chose a spot out by the road and it still stands there today.  (My sister has a tree...and I'm pretty sure my cousins have trees, too.)
I remember planting that tree.  I remember watching it grow over the years.  It now reaches high into the sky.  It reminds me of my grandpa's love...firmly grounded, always growing, providing shelter, offering a resting place.
Now, a tradition continues, although here instead of there...thanks for the tree, Grandpa!

"What is it about grandparents that is so lovely? I'd like to say that grandparents are God's gifts to children. And if they can but see, hear and feel what these people have to give, they can mature at a fast rate."
~Bill Cosby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

L.E.N.S. photo challenge: learning spaces

 Join in on the photo challenge fun at Home Is Where You Start From . 

#TransformationTuesday

"But God has surely listened and has heard my prayer."  Psalm 66:19 As one who has struggled with weight all of my life, seeing the ups and downs in jean sizes became my reality.  I would lose some pounds only to face a stressor in life and see them return and bring friends along for the ride.  I spent years believing lies, yet secretly hoping for a better reality.  Lies that I am not capable of overcoming my sweet tooth and that I am just not the workout type, topped the list.  I have never really lacked self esteem or self confidence; I know who I am.  However, I know from personal experience, others define me by what they first see.  Having been a plus-size lady for years, I was treated differently, intentionally or not, when I dropped pounds. My health journey to where I am today began back in 2010. It is amazing that things do not happen accidentally, even if they seem to in the beginning. Actually, as the pieces of my story have come together, this story begins w

anchored

My word for 2018.  Anchored. To keep from drifting. Representative of stability and strength. Connected. Held.  Grounded.  Positioned.  Fixed. Movable. Small, yet, essential part of a bigger entity. It is a standard by which to live; a goal for which to strive. Anchored.