Skip to main content

beyond the church walls

in this togetherEarlier this summer, our church had an opportunity to help a smaller church in Atlanta with a VBS for their community.  We met in a school every evening for a week.  The boys and I missed going the first night due to being out of town, but we joined in the second evening in order to answer a plea for help mowing the grass at the location.
Little did we know that God used that to draw us in that night and keep us returning for the remainder of the week.  You see, having missed that first night, I felt a disconnect, not sure it was our place to jump into after it had already begun. He showed me differently.
The boys and I had chosen to ride the church bus with everyone else. We were there to help mow the grass, but remained there for the VBS in order to catch a ride back on the bus.
The boys were given tasks in which they could help serve. I took a seat in the assembly area, not for sure of what I would be doing, until...
A young girl comes in, in tears, and has a confrontation with her older sisters right in front of where I am sitting.  I stand up and talk to the younger girl to try and figure out what the problem was.  She attaches herself to me in a matter of seconds and becomes my insta-shadow.  It is now apparent that I am going to be helping in the 3rd & 4th grade class. All week. :)
opening assembly
Overall, the week went well. Kids were loved on and we were loved on in return.  Serving outside of my comfort zone reminded me that I need to get out of my zone more often.
being crafty
The photo below is one of my favorites from the week. As we bowed for prayer at the end of music, I saw this happening before me...so sweet!
a lesson in prayer
My little shadow drew a picture of us together on the very first night. How could I not come back and see her?
she and I
After a trying day 4 on Thursday, we all made it through to enjoy the closing program on Friday night. Some of these children went to school here, but had never been on the stage in front of a crowd of people. It was sweet to get to see them perform our VBS songs for their parents and such.
younger kids closing ceremony closing assembly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#TransformationTuesday

"But God has surely listened and has heard my prayer."  Psalm 66:19 As one who has struggled with weight all of my life, seeing the ups and downs in jean sizes became my reality.  I would lose some pounds only to face a stressor in life and see them return and bring friends along for the ride.  I spent years believing lies, yet secretly hoping for a better reality.  Lies that I am not capable of overcoming my sweet tooth and that I am just not the workout type, topped the list.  I have never really lacked self esteem or self confidence; I know who I am.  However, I know from personal experience, others define me by what they first see.  Having been a plus-size lady for years, I was treated differently, intentionally or not, when I dropped pounds. My health journey to where I am today began back in 2010. It is amazing that things do not happen accidentally, even if they seem to in the beginning. Actually, as the pieces of my story have come together, this story begins w

L.E.N.S. photo challenge: learning spaces

 Join in on the photo challenge fun at Home Is Where You Start From . 

anchored

My word for 2018.  Anchored. To keep from drifting. Representative of stability and strength. Connected. Held.  Grounded.  Positioned.  Fixed. Movable. Small, yet, essential part of a bigger entity. It is a standard by which to live; a goal for which to strive. Anchored.