Skip to main content

blessed quietness

"This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: 'In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength...'"  Isaiah 30:15


Ever have a hard time being quiet?  I sure do.  Silence is awkward.  I read some years back that a natural pause occurs about every 20 minutes in a conversation.  I think about that alot when in a room full of people visiting with one another and an overall pause occurs in the room.  People don't allow it to last long, but it happens.  Seems more so even today that we think we need noise around us at all times...case in point: constantly seeing people with white cords extending from a pocket to their ears.  (I guess tthat is better than in the 80's when boom boxes were carried around on shoulders and the noise was shared to all who were in the vincinity...thanks to those who keep the noise to themselves nowadays!)  It takes effort to be quiet and be comfortable with it. 
I never really appreciated stillness until I became a mom.  Naptime was indeed a time to enjoy.  As soon as Alex was down for a nap, I went quickly and silently around the house and turned off all the ringers to the phones.  Alex was a light sleeper and I did everything I could to ensure us both a quiet moment to relax and rejuvenate.  Tim came a year later and if the planets aligned just right and they both fell asleep around the same time, you know I thanked God for that miraculous moment. :) 
"Noise" comes in a variety of ways...email, calls, texts, music, news, sports, internet, tv, work...the list can go on and on.  Why is there such a need for noise?   Quietness opens doors that sometimes we would rather have remain closed. When we have time to hear ourselves think, up surfaces things we need to do, work on, or at least start admitting to ourselves.  Is there any wonder in Psalms 46:10 we are instructed, ""Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."  Sometimes, in all of life's noise, what God is trying to share with us is drowned out.  Our hearts and minds are occupied to capacity, leaving little room for the still small voice to reach us.  Indeed, He will make His message clear one way or another in the end.  Life lesson #1055:  Seeking God's voice willingly and actively is better than having to be quieted by Him to hear it.
In my Bible study time yesterday, I read the verse at the beginning of this blog post.  I read it and knew it was an answer to a prayer of mine.  In following the Spirit's leading to become quiet in a certain area of my life, I know I am to continue being still at this time and trust God to speak for me.  He will be glorified more if I am quiet, even though it is a very hard thing for me to do.  Sowing the seed of quietness now will bring a harvest of joy later.  In this, my hope lies.  This quietness seems most awkward...goes against what I want to do, even...but, out of obedience to the One whose voice I desire to hear through all the other noise, willingly, I am still.  

"Joys are flowing like a river since the Comforter has come;
He abides with us forever, makes the trusting heart His home.
Blessed quietness, holy quietness, blest assurance in my soul!
On the stormy sea, Jesus speaks to me, and the billows cease to roll!" 
~"Blessed Quietness" by Marie P. Ferguson          

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#TransformationTuesday

"But God has surely listened and has heard my prayer."  Psalm 66:19 As one who has struggled with weight all of my life, seeing the ups and downs in jean sizes became my reality.  I would lose some pounds only to face a stressor in life and see them return and bring friends along for the ride.  I spent years believing lies, yet secretly hoping for a better reality.  Lies that I am not capable of overcoming my sweet tooth and that I am just not the workout type, topped the list.  I have never really lacked self esteem or self confidence; I know who I am.  However, I know from personal experience, others define me by what they first see.  Having been a plus-size lady for years, I was treated differently, intentionally or not, when I dropped pounds. My health journey to where I am today began back in 2010. It is amazing that things do not happen accidentally, even if they seem to in the beginning. Actually, as the pieces of my story have come together, this story begins w

L.E.N.S. photo challenge: learning spaces

 Join in on the photo challenge fun at Home Is Where You Start From . 

anchored

My word for 2018.  Anchored. To keep from drifting. Representative of stability and strength. Connected. Held.  Grounded.  Positioned.  Fixed. Movable. Small, yet, essential part of a bigger entity. It is a standard by which to live; a goal for which to strive. Anchored.