Skip to main content

thoughts from the shower

God, create a clean heart for me and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

Do not banish me from Your presence or take Your Holy Spirit from me.

Restore the joy of Your salvation to me, and give me a willing spirit.

Then I will teach the rebellious Your ways, and sinners will return to You.

Psalm 51:10-13
Anyone else do their best thinking in the shower?  I know I do.  Sometimes I actually remember them once the water is turned off, too. :)
My latest thought was about cleaning the shower.  Let me back up a minute and tell you that on the days I clean the shower, I do it just before getting into it in the morning.  I've found that it's just easier this way...and I am the first to get to enjoy the fruit of my labor. 
So, this morning, while enjoying my sparkling clean shower, I was thinking back to the moment when I had my revelation about cleaning the bathroom in general.  It was while I was cleaning the shower floor.  I was on my hands and knees, thinking that I was tired of cleaning a dirty shower and it hit me.  Bam!  In order to not have to clean a dirty shower, I'd have to clean it while it was still (relatively) clean.  I had already found the tools that work best for the results I like in a shower (Magic Eraser for the bathroom being my favorite).  Now I had the rest of the equation.  Right tools + right timing = easier job.  I liked this thought...and still do.
The equation works in spiritual matters as well.  I have to stay on top of things and use the right "tools".  If I keep my relationship with God in order, there are fewer big messes to clean up.  Prayer, time in God's Word, faithfulness in obeying what I read/hear God telling me to do...they are the tools I need to keep heading in the right direction in life.  And, when life throws me a curveball, my heart is well tuned in to where I get my strength and courage to keep on going through the tough times. 
There is always room for improvement.  There are always things to learn.  There will be messes to clean up.  However, by cleaning the clean, there's alot less dirt to deal with along the way.
Now this is the message we have heard from Him and declare to you: God is light, and there is absolutely no darkness in Him. If we say, "We have fellowship with Him," and walk in darkness, we are lying and are not practicing the truth. But if we walk in the light as He Himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say, "We have no sin," we are deceiving ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say, "We have not sinned," we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us. 1 John 1:5-10

Comments

  1. Janet - I do my best thinking in the shower. I love the Create In Me you started your post with - this is a part of our liturgy each week at church and it a favorite of mine!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not much to say other than... You hit the nail on the head.
    thanks. I know I am really late in catching up on reading your page, but this was surly the day I needed to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

L.E.N.S. photo challenge: learning spaces

 Join in on the photo challenge fun at Home Is Where You Start From . 

#TransformationTuesday

"But God has surely listened and has heard my prayer."  Psalm 66:19 As one who has struggled with weight all of my life, seeing the ups and downs in jean sizes became my reality.  I would lose some pounds only to face a stressor in life and see them return and bring friends along for the ride.  I spent years believing lies, yet secretly hoping for a better reality.  Lies that I am not capable of overcoming my sweet tooth and that I am just not the workout type, topped the list.  I have never really lacked self esteem or self confidence; I know who I am.  However, I know from personal experience, others define me by what they first see.  Having been a plus-size lady for years, I was treated differently, intentionally or not, when I dropped pounds. My health journey to where I am today began back in 2010. It is amazing that things do not happen accidentally, even if they seem to in the beginning. Actually, as the pieces of my story have come together, this story begins w

anchored

My word for 2018.  Anchored. To keep from drifting. Representative of stability and strength. Connected. Held.  Grounded.  Positioned.  Fixed. Movable. Small, yet, essential part of a bigger entity. It is a standard by which to live; a goal for which to strive. Anchored.