Skip to main content

kept and pondered

"But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart."
Luke 2:19



There was an exercise, on the part of this blessed woman, of three powers of her being: her memory- she kept all these things; her affections- she kept them in her heart; her intellect- she pondered them; so that memory, affection, and understanding were all exercised about the things which she had heard.  Beloved, remember what you have heard of your Lord Jesus, and what He has done for you; make your heart the golden pot of manna to preserve the memorial of the heavenly bread whereon you have fed in days gone by.  Let your memory treasure up everything about Christ which you have either felt, or known, or believed, and then let your fond affections hold Him fast for evermore.  Love the person of your Lord!  Bring forth the alabaster box of your heart, even though it be broken, and let all the precious ointment of your affection come streaming on His pierced feet.  Let your intellect be exercised concerning the Lord Jesus. Meditate upon what you read: stop not at the surface; dive into the depths. Be not as the swallow which toucheth the brook with her wing, but as the fish which penetrates the lowest wave.  Abide with your Lord: let Him not be to you as a wayfaring man, that tarrieth for a night, but constrain Him, saying, "Abide with us, for the day is far spent."  Hold Him, and do not let Him go.  The word "ponder, ' means to weigh.  Make ready the balances of judgment.  Oh, but where are the scales that can weigh the Lord Christ?  "He taketh up the isles as a very little thing: "who shall take Him up?  "He weigheth the mountains in scales"in what scales shall we weigh Him?  Be it so, if your understanding cannot comprehend, let your affections apprehend; and if your spirit cannot compass the Lord Jesus in the grasp of understanding, let it embrace Him in the arms of affection.
                                                                                        ~ Charles Spurgeon
Of all the Bible, I may just understand Luke 2:19 the most.  Nothing complicated to understand here about keeping and pondering things in my heart.  I sometimes wonder if there's enough room to keep every thing I want to remember in the days yet to come.
Maybe this is why I started to blog.  To have a place to write certain things out now in order to read again one day and say, "Oh, yes!  I remember...".
Maybe it is to have a place to ponder over things as I write them out, only to never post them for the rest of the world to see.
Still in draft form...a story not yet finished, maybe.
Waiting for the proper time...or a happy ending.
Remaining hidden...for only my heart to truly hold.
Psalm 40:5...
"Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done.
The things you planned for us no one can recount to you;
were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare."

As I think of all the things God has taught...done...provided...granted favor toward, indeed, it seems too many things to tell.  It is exciting to see how God has worked out His good for His glory through an imperfect life as mine...and that He continues working through it.  What a glorious Savior!

Comments

  1. beautiful words and thoughts you have shared here - yes, I too ponder in my heart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

L.E.N.S. photo challenge: learning spaces

 Join in on the photo challenge fun at Home Is Where You Start From . 

#TransformationTuesday

"But God has surely listened and has heard my prayer."  Psalm 66:19 As one who has struggled with weight all of my life, seeing the ups and downs in jean sizes became my reality.  I would lose some pounds only to face a stressor in life and see them return and bring friends along for the ride.  I spent years believing lies, yet secretly hoping for a better reality.  Lies that I am not capable of overcoming my sweet tooth and that I am just not the workout type, topped the list.  I have never really lacked self esteem or self confidence; I know who I am.  However, I know from personal experience, others define me by what they first see.  Having been a plus-size lady for years, I was treated differently, intentionally or not, when I dropped pounds. My health journey to where I am today began back in 2010. It is amazing that things do not happen accidentally, even if they seem to in the beginning. Actually, as the pieces of my story have come together, this story begins w

anchored

My word for 2018.  Anchored. To keep from drifting. Representative of stability and strength. Connected. Held.  Grounded.  Positioned.  Fixed. Movable. Small, yet, essential part of a bigger entity. It is a standard by which to live; a goal for which to strive. Anchored.