Skip to main content

Oh, to be here again...



Missing Alaska today.
Wishing I were there again...especially trekking across Matanuska Glacier.
It was an extraordinary adventure with sunshine, warm temperatures, and my friend, Kim, who loves Alaska as much as I do.
We drove to the address I had for glacier trekking, only to find the little shack in the middle of nowhere closed with a phone number to call for more info.  I called and was informed that an excursion was going to be taking off in just a few minutes, less than two miles from where we were at the time.  So, after backtracking down a gravel road we drove to find the shack in the middle of nowhere, we made our way on down to MICA Tours and prepped for our first ever trek into the heart of a glacier.
We were expecting an hour and a half trek, but the one going out was 3 hours...and for a little more than we expected...but we went anyway.
It was the right thing to do.
Definitely.
On the ride back to where our car was parked, we learned from those with us on our trek that this hike almost didn't happen for us.  The group we were with had been scheduled to leave a half hour earlier, but for whatever reason, they were delayed.  When my phone call came in they figured that waiting a few more minutes wouldn't make that much of a difference, so they waited on us to arrive and get all of our gear on so we could join in on the fun.  Kim and I looked at each other in the van in disbelief that we almost missed the entire awesome trek by a matter of seconds.  God was so good to us to give us this afternoon and we were very thankful for it!
Three hours of walking on a beautiful, slushy bed of blue ice with warm sunshine on my shoulders...
It made me happy.




 

Comments

  1. oh wow, what a wonderful adventure! Your photos are just stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#TransformationTuesday

"But God has surely listened and has heard my prayer."  Psalm 66:19 As one who has struggled with weight all of my life, seeing the ups and downs in jean sizes became my reality.  I would lose some pounds only to face a stressor in life and see them return and bring friends along for the ride.  I spent years believing lies, yet secretly hoping for a better reality.  Lies that I am not capable of overcoming my sweet tooth and that I am just not the workout type, topped the list.  I have never really lacked self esteem or self confidence; I know who I am.  However, I know from personal experience, others define me by what they first see.  Having been a plus-size lady for years, I was treated differently, intentionally or not, when I dropped pounds. My health journey to where I am today began back in 2010. It is amazing that things do not happen accidentally, even if they seem to in the beginning. Actually, as the pieces of my story have come together, this story begins w

L.E.N.S. photo challenge: learning spaces

 Join in on the photo challenge fun at Home Is Where You Start From . 

anchored

My word for 2018.  Anchored. To keep from drifting. Representative of stability and strength. Connected. Held.  Grounded.  Positioned.  Fixed. Movable. Small, yet, essential part of a bigger entity. It is a standard by which to live; a goal for which to strive. Anchored.