Skip to main content

something else

"The day is ending.  It's time for something that was beautiful to turn into something else that is beautiful.  Now, let go."  The plumber from New Zealand in Elizabeth Gilbert's book, Eat, Pray, Love.

Letting go of something is always difficult for me.  Always.  No matter what it is...good, bad, or indifferent.  It is not that I do not want things to change, I just do not want to lose anything that I have experienced in my life.  A hoarder of experiences, of sorts, I guess I am admitting to be...just pile them on and keep 'em coming.
Photos, blog posts, journal entries, emails...they all help me hold onto the memories so I will not forget.
Memories are great.
There is just one thing that memories lead one to do time to time that is not so wonderful.  Memories keep one looking back too often once in awhile.  Life is not found in yesterday.  Life is not found in the dreams of tomorrow and what it might bring.  Life is today.  Right here, right now.
As I read the above quote this evening, it was confirmed in my heart that handing over something to God is not always a punishment, but it is indeed for my good and His glory.  The concept of a beautiful day turning into a beautiful night is so simple, so wonderfully easy to comprehend.  One has to leave in order for the other to appear.  Outside of Alaska where there are 24 hours of sunlight in summer and the same amount of darkness in winter, our normal days turn into nights.  Both can be beautiful, but both are very different.  Similarly, Monday was a most beautiful day with sunshine, warm temperatures, and a nice breeze.  The sunset was stunning as the sun turned the first and incoming clouds of Tropical Storm, turned Hurricane, Isaac, pink.  It was a transition into a beautiful night, but it did not take anything away from the beautiful day just hours before.
God has blessed me with some amazing things in my life.  Treasures that I do not want to ever forget.  Places, people, things...all beautiful.  However, I've moved several times, said goodbye to family and friends, and given away items that once were at the top of my list of things I wanted...it was time for something beautiful to turn into something else that was beautiful.  And, in order for that to happen, I had to let go.
In this step of faith in order to trust God with my something beautiful, I am reminded by all these things that the "something else" is beautiful too.
Easing my grip on what I have held on to so tightly for so long, I feel His grace showered upon me, making it a little less painful.  My eyes are heart are on Him, in expectation, for my next beautiful something else.  

Comments

  1. Beautiful picture of the sky...and a beautiful post! A good reminder to let things go...and to give them to God!

    Thanks,
    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

L.E.N.S. photo challenge: learning spaces

 Join in on the photo challenge fun at Home Is Where You Start From . 

#TransformationTuesday

"But God has surely listened and has heard my prayer."  Psalm 66:19 As one who has struggled with weight all of my life, seeing the ups and downs in jean sizes became my reality.  I would lose some pounds only to face a stressor in life and see them return and bring friends along for the ride.  I spent years believing lies, yet secretly hoping for a better reality.  Lies that I am not capable of overcoming my sweet tooth and that I am just not the workout type, topped the list.  I have never really lacked self esteem or self confidence; I know who I am.  However, I know from personal experience, others define me by what they first see.  Having been a plus-size lady for years, I was treated differently, intentionally or not, when I dropped pounds. My health journey to where I am today began back in 2010. It is amazing that things do not happen accidentally, even if they seem to in the beginning. Actually, as the pieces of my story have come together, this story begins w

anchored

My word for 2018.  Anchored. To keep from drifting. Representative of stability and strength. Connected. Held.  Grounded.  Positioned.  Fixed. Movable. Small, yet, essential part of a bigger entity. It is a standard by which to live; a goal for which to strive. Anchored.