Skip to main content

DPP 13: Pinterest project

For our church dinner last evening I made Rice Krispies treats ornaments.  I saw how cute they were on Pinterest and just wanted to make the ordinary a little less ordinary and a lot more Christmas-y.

P1160457


Fortunately, we had a few leftover, so I snapped a photo of them for today's entry.
Now, for some reason, they look cuter in the photo than in person.
I made smaller ornaments than the Pinterest post, getting 23-24 ornaments from the normal Rice Krispies Treats recipe.  Since mine were smaller I chose to use miniature marshmallows as the ornament hanger thingamajig.  I also used green and red (red bulb is not visible in this shot) food coloring in the marshmallow goo before adding the crispy rice cereal.
They weren't hard to make, but very time consuming.  And, I did not like how firm the treats were in the end.  Too hard for my liking...I like gooey, stretchy treats.  By my third batch, the ones without food coloring, I had a better end result.  I do not think the food coloring had anything to do with the firmness, but maybe all the manhandling that it takes to form the round balls does.  I took the last batch off the heat earlier than the first two batches, too, but they ended up being the hardest to form into balls because they weren't staying together very well.  I was hoping no one got the idea to start throwing them at each other...the green ornaments are pretty solid and would leave a mark.
I am not sorry I tried this project, but I highly doubt I will ever do it again for the masses.  Maybe the magic is in making only six large ornaments.   For me, the magic is in the original gooey, marshmallowy, easy to bite into, square treats.

Comments

  1. Now those are the most cutest ever!! I haven't seen those on Pinterest yet. How creative and fun!! I bet the boys loved gobbling those up!! Sorry they were so hard. Gooey ones definitely are yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

L.E.N.S. photo challenge: learning spaces

 Join in on the photo challenge fun at Home Is Where You Start From . 

#TransformationTuesday

"But God has surely listened and has heard my prayer."  Psalm 66:19 As one who has struggled with weight all of my life, seeing the ups and downs in jean sizes became my reality.  I would lose some pounds only to face a stressor in life and see them return and bring friends along for the ride.  I spent years believing lies, yet secretly hoping for a better reality.  Lies that I am not capable of overcoming my sweet tooth and that I am just not the workout type, topped the list.  I have never really lacked self esteem or self confidence; I know who I am.  However, I know from personal experience, others define me by what they first see.  Having been a plus-size lady for years, I was treated differently, intentionally or not, when I dropped pounds. My health journey to where I am today began back in 2010. It is amazing that things do not happen accidentally, even if they seem to in the beginning. Actually, as the pieces of my story have come together, this story begins w

anchored

My word for 2018.  Anchored. To keep from drifting. Representative of stability and strength. Connected. Held.  Grounded.  Positioned.  Fixed. Movable. Small, yet, essential part of a bigger entity. It is a standard by which to live; a goal for which to strive. Anchored.