Skip to main content

from the archives: friends

Written November 11, 2010...

"A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails." ~ Donna Roberts

I have a friend who has a way of making me remember even the smallest of things that make us laugh together, and if just for a moment, all is right again in my world.



"I found out what the secret to life is: friends.  Best friends."  Ninny Threadgoode, "Fried Green Tomatoes"

My best friend?  My best friend is the one who sticks with me through thick and thin.

"True friendship comes when silence between two people is comfortable." ~ Dave Tyson Gentry

I know with one friend, in particular, silence is golden.  It is in what not is said that the most is said.

"Silences make the real conversations between friends. Not the saying but the never needing to say is what counts." ~ Margaret Lee Runbeck, Answer Without Ceasing

It was once said that an awkward moment of silence is averaged about every 20 minutes in a conversation.  It's in those pauses and the recovery from them where you find friends who truly get you.

"But oh! the blessing it is to have a friend to whom one can speak fearlessly on any subject; with whom one's deepest as well as one's most foolish thoughts come out simply and safely. Oh, the comfort - the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person - having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all right out, just as they are, chaff and grain together; certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then with the breath of kindness blow the rest away." ~ Dinah Craik, A Life for a Life, 1859

I have one sounding board friend that is just amazing.  We vent, we rant, we rave...then we laugh, we love, and we move on.  To sum it up, it's awesome.

"The tender friendships one gives up, on parting, leave their bite on the heart, but also a
curious feeling of a treasure somewhere buried." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Southern Mail, 1929, translated from French by Curtis Cate

I have said goodbye to my share of friends as either I have moved or they have moved away and on with their lives.  Our roads ran parallel for a time and then a fork in the road took us down separate pathways.  No matter how long those pathways continue on, the memory of those parallel miles together are sweet and treasured.

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive." ~ Anäis Nin

My life has been widened, enriched, and given a boost by friends who open new worlds to me.  Whether by adventures abroad or at home, a life well lived for the benefit of others and for the glory of God is sometimes the simplest form of inspiration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#TransformationTuesday

"But God has surely listened and has heard my prayer."  Psalm 66:19 As one who has struggled with weight all of my life, seeing the ups and downs in jean sizes became my reality.  I would lose some pounds only to face a stressor in life and see them return and bring friends along for the ride.  I spent years believing lies, yet secretly hoping for a better reality.  Lies that I am not capable of overcoming my sweet tooth and that I am just not the workout type, topped the list.  I have never really lacked self esteem or self confidence; I know who I am.  However, I know from personal experience, others define me by what they first see.  Having been a plus-size lady for years, I was treated differently, intentionally or not, when I dropped pounds. My health journey to where I am today began back in 2010. It is amazing that things do not happen accidentally, even if they seem to in the beginning. Actually, as the pieces of my story have come together, this story begins w

L.E.N.S. photo challenge: learning spaces

 Join in on the photo challenge fun at Home Is Where You Start From . 

anchored

My word for 2018.  Anchored. To keep from drifting. Representative of stability and strength. Connected. Held.  Grounded.  Positioned.  Fixed. Movable. Small, yet, essential part of a bigger entity. It is a standard by which to live; a goal for which to strive. Anchored.