Skip to main content

silver lining


n. "A hopeful or comforting prospect in the midst of difficulty."




That's the definition I found for silver lining. The funny thing is, it's not a sure thing, but only a prospect and yet it's enough to make one feel better. I know my silver lining moment today made me feel better. It doesn't take much sometimes and today was one of them that only took the very tops of daffodil leaves poking through the ground to make me feel hopeful in the days to come. I have the same reaction to the rosebud holding onto life at the end of its branch in these cold temperatures. Difficult circumstances, but it's holding on; offering itself to be used for the Creator's glory. That's a lesson to be learned and applied more often in my own life.

Yesterday was "one of those days". Everyone has them (at least I hope it's not just me)...overwhelmed, stressed, confused...life gets in the way of living kind of days. Reading in 2 Corinthians last night before bed, I was reminded (gently reprimanded probably is more like it) that "we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." (2 Cor. 10:5) I cannot say every thought I had throughout the day was taken captive...by far, I failed. In my pity party I lost focus of my Rock...the One who holds the answers and has a way of parting waters to make a dry path for His children to walk upon. DRY land...not mucky, messy mud...dry land. Why was I wasting my time wallowing in the mud of self pity and doubt when I should have been kneeling to my God who knows me best and cares for me far more than anyone else can? Because I'm me, that's why. So, I fell off the faith wagon; time to get back up, dust myself off and find my mind set on things above again.
Today, those few green leaves I saw gave me hope renewed. No matter how long "winter" lasts in my life, hope springs forth. Although clouds come, the sun still rises and sets as God directs. He is the One I am to turn to when the burden is heavy...and my heart aches...The great "I AM" is all I need. I know trials are to come, but as much so, I know God will provide a way through them - on dry ground!

"Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast." I Peter 5:8-10

"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy. He who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him." Psalm 126:5-6

"I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD." Psalm 40:1-3
" 'You are my witnesses,' declares the LORD, 'and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior. I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses,' declares the LORD, 'that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?' " Isaiah 43:10-13

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

L.E.N.S. photo challenge: learning spaces

 Join in on the photo challenge fun at Home Is Where You Start From . 

#TransformationTuesday

"But God has surely listened and has heard my prayer."  Psalm 66:19 As one who has struggled with weight all of my life, seeing the ups and downs in jean sizes became my reality.  I would lose some pounds only to face a stressor in life and see them return and bring friends along for the ride.  I spent years believing lies, yet secretly hoping for a better reality.  Lies that I am not capable of overcoming my sweet tooth and that I am just not the workout type, topped the list.  I have never really lacked self esteem or self confidence; I know who I am.  However, I know from personal experience, others define me by what they first see.  Having been a plus-size lady for years, I was treated differently, intentionally or not, when I dropped pounds. My health journey to where I am today began back in 2010. It is amazing that things do not happen accidentally, even if they seem to in the beginning. Actually, as the pieces of my story have come together, this story begins w

anchored

My word for 2018.  Anchored. To keep from drifting. Representative of stability and strength. Connected. Held.  Grounded.  Positioned.  Fixed. Movable. Small, yet, essential part of a bigger entity. It is a standard by which to live; a goal for which to strive. Anchored.