Skip to main content

a healthy dose of loyalty

I know, my God, that you test the heart and are pleased with integrity. All these things have I given willingly and with honest intent. And now I have seen with joy how willingly your people who are here have given to you. O Lord, God of our fathers Abraham, Isaac and Israel, keep this desire in the hearts of your people forever, and keep their hearts loyal to you.  1 Chronicles 29:17-18

Wikipedia states loyalty is "faithfulness or a devotion to a person, country, group, or cause."

The Free Dictionary's definition of loyalty (and loyal) includes:
1. The state or quality of being loyal (unswerving in allegiance).
2. A feeling or attitude of devoted attachment and affection.
Often "they" say love is blind.  I say loyalty, like love, can blind you if you let it.  Loyalty has the ability to cloud our vision of reality.  When our hearts have turned with devotion toward an individual/group/cause so much that we are placing in second place, Jesus, our Redeemer, Healer, and Wonderful Counselor, we have lost a healthy perspective.  On life.  About ourselves.  Of truth.
Failure to remember that my devotion and loyalty lies to Jesus Christ first and foremost will only lead me to failure in other areas of life, including when I am trying to take a stand out of loyalty for someone else.
I understand hurting along with someone we love while they are hurting.  I understand wanting justice for someone we love who has been treated badly.  I understand wanting answers for those who can't seem to find them on their own.
However, help and encouragement come when truth is spoken and lived out.  Prayers said and attitudes checked at the door, the best way to see things clearly is to step back and stop demanding things for those we love from others who are unable or unwilling to give them.  Realize it or not, demands of answers or justice may just be making things harder or worse for the ones who are seen in need of "help".   Making a scene does not help or encourage anyone.
Affection for or devotion to someone would be better served if filtered through the eyes and heart of Jesus first.  Look honestly and make sure you aren't trying to get things the way you want them to be.  Look intently at the situation and see it for what it really is.  Look ahead to the future with an open heart and mind and trust that God does indeed work all things together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.
God is God and is good at what He does.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

L.E.N.S. photo challenge: learning spaces

 Join in on the photo challenge fun at Home Is Where You Start From . 

#TransformationTuesday

"But God has surely listened and has heard my prayer."  Psalm 66:19 As one who has struggled with weight all of my life, seeing the ups and downs in jean sizes became my reality.  I would lose some pounds only to face a stressor in life and see them return and bring friends along for the ride.  I spent years believing lies, yet secretly hoping for a better reality.  Lies that I am not capable of overcoming my sweet tooth and that I am just not the workout type, topped the list.  I have never really lacked self esteem or self confidence; I know who I am.  However, I know from personal experience, others define me by what they first see.  Having been a plus-size lady for years, I was treated differently, intentionally or not, when I dropped pounds. My health journey to where I am today began back in 2010. It is amazing that things do not happen accidentally, even if they seem to in the beginning. Actually, as the pieces of my story have come together, this story begins w

anchored

My word for 2018.  Anchored. To keep from drifting. Representative of stability and strength. Connected. Held.  Grounded.  Positioned.  Fixed. Movable. Small, yet, essential part of a bigger entity. It is a standard by which to live; a goal for which to strive. Anchored.