Skip to main content

all about me

There's a running joke between my best friend and me that I can make everything all about me and most times without anyone ever noticing until it's all said and done...it's a phenomenon I don't understand and don't realize even myself at times, but it does happen. I tried to teach her how to do it, but you've either got it or you don't...she is getting better at it, though. :)

I've said all that to say this: we are living in a society that is focusing on an "all about me" attitude. Self this and self that...this isn't a new concept. However, I started to take notice lately that alot of the songs being played on Christian radio stations are even "self" oriented. (Now, even the worst of these songs can be better than other options to listen to, don't misunderstand me). But, in a way, even Christian artists have started singing "self help" songs...songs to make you feel like someone else is suffering with issues just like you..."you are not alone" kinds of songs.

What's so bad with that, one may ask. It's not that it's all bad...it's just that it's becoming more of the routine to be thinking about who I am and what I can do instead of who God is and what God can do even within otherwise good Christian songs. Everyone needs a little encouragement along the way. Music can do that. Everyone needs to feel like someone understands and music can relay that message. It's just that too much of a good thing can be harmful.

Too many moments of thinking of self becomes selfishness and self-pity. It's time we get back to the basics and when we're down, confused or even angry take time to focus on God first and foremost. God is so much more than we give Him credit for...or even give Him a chance to be. And, when we're happy and full of bubbling over joy give God the spotlight He deserves.

Fill our ears and mouths with words about God and there's less room for self pity or self praise. I'm a working model for this concept...catch me later to find out how I'm doing with it. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#TransformationTuesday

"But God has surely listened and has heard my prayer."  Psalm 66:19 As one who has struggled with weight all of my life, seeing the ups and downs in jean sizes became my reality.  I would lose some pounds only to face a stressor in life and see them return and bring friends along for the ride.  I spent years believing lies, yet secretly hoping for a better reality.  Lies that I am not capable of overcoming my sweet tooth and that I am just not the workout type, topped the list.  I have never really lacked self esteem or self confidence; I know who I am.  However, I know from personal experience, others define me by what they first see.  Having been a plus-size lady for years, I was treated differently, intentionally or not, when I dropped pounds. My health journey to where I am today began back in 2010. It is amazing that things do not happen accidentally, even if they seem to in the beginning. Actually, as the pieces of my story have come together, this story begins w

L.E.N.S. photo challenge: learning spaces

 Join in on the photo challenge fun at Home Is Where You Start From . 

anchored

My word for 2018.  Anchored. To keep from drifting. Representative of stability and strength. Connected. Held.  Grounded.  Positioned.  Fixed. Movable. Small, yet, essential part of a bigger entity. It is a standard by which to live; a goal for which to strive. Anchored.