Skip to main content

a level path

"They will come with weeping;
they will pray as I bring them back.
I will lead them beside streams of water
on a level path where they will not stumble..."
Jeremiah 31:9

Being back home has been wonderful in that I am with my family again (and sleeping in my own bed and not standing in line for a shower), but in all other regards it has been difficult.  Coming home knowing that there is more ministry to be done in Anchorage and more teams to prepare for to do that ministry has been hard on me mentally. 
My heart is there and here...here and there. 
I cannot be both places. 
When in one, the other holds something special that draws me back toward it. 
Each day that I was home, my body seemed to readjust to the time just a little more, but my mind was still on what was happening in Alaska.  Each day I felt as if a little more weight was being added to my load instead of being lifted. 
Until Sunday.
That morning I was on the verge of tears most of the morning.  My heart longed to be in Anchorage worshiping with my friends there, preparing for the new teams, and resting in God's goodness that got us through each week of the ministry.  People were joking and carrying on about silly stuff while I knew certain children were going to wake up hungry in just a few hours and perhaps be fending for themselves for most, if not all, of the day.  It just didn't seem right. 
I knew that the evening service was our team sharing about Alaska.  My emotions were so everywhere, how was I going to handle leading my team in this feat that seemed so overwhelming at the moment?
To top it all off, we sang two songs that morning that we sing each week during GraceWorks chapel. 
Really?!
As the praise team led the congregation in our final song of the worship service, I broke down in sobs.  Not just the normal few tears that will readily flow as I sing of and to the God who loves me more than I deserve or can even imagine.  Emotionally filled sobs. 
I had to let go and it hurt.  But as I let go, I could feel God filling me with His presence and His grace.  As I prayed that He would help me to be here more effectively and show me how to live here again in a place that seems so distracted from His work and so closed to hearing about Him and His goodness (and I am talking about the "Bible Belt", folks), I knew He was hearing my pleas.  
As I was praying, I heard the chorus to the song being sang around me..."Through the calm and through the storm...In every high and every low...Lord, you never let go of me."  I was reminded through these words that God has me right where He wants me.  He's got my back.  The low seems great and longstanding, but He is God and He is good and He's going ahead of me and making my path level where He wants me to be walking.
When I read this verse in Jeremiah tonight, I was reminded of Sunday and how God met me where I was...lonely and longing for something more...and He filled me with the best thing ever. 
More of Him.
He is all I need.
I'm just at the beginning of this healing process, but it has begun and even though I'll never be the same again, I know I will be better than okay in the end.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#TransformationTuesday

"But God has surely listened and has heard my prayer."  Psalm 66:19 As one who has struggled with weight all of my life, seeing the ups and downs in jean sizes became my reality.  I would lose some pounds only to face a stressor in life and see them return and bring friends along for the ride.  I spent years believing lies, yet secretly hoping for a better reality.  Lies that I am not capable of overcoming my sweet tooth and that I am just not the workout type, topped the list.  I have never really lacked self esteem or self confidence; I know who I am.  However, I know from personal experience, others define me by what they first see.  Having been a plus-size lady for years, I was treated differently, intentionally or not, when I dropped pounds. My health journey to where I am today began back in 2010. It is amazing that things do not happen accidentally, even if they seem to in the beginning. Actually, as the pieces of my story have come together, this story begins w

L.E.N.S. photo challenge: learning spaces

 Join in on the photo challenge fun at Home Is Where You Start From . 

anchored

My word for 2018.  Anchored. To keep from drifting. Representative of stability and strength. Connected. Held.  Grounded.  Positioned.  Fixed. Movable. Small, yet, essential part of a bigger entity. It is a standard by which to live; a goal for which to strive. Anchored.