Skip to main content

Gentlemen...and Ladies...Start your engines!

It was not just another day at the track today.
For, today, I was in the driver's seat!
With the family there cheering me on, and encouraging me when I needed it the most to make it through the nervousness I had early on, I had a chance to drive 6 laps around Atlanta Motor Speedway in a real NASCAR car.
It was unlike anything else I have ever experienced.
There's a lot of horsepower in those engines...power just waiting to be seen, heard, felt.
I felt a mixture of emotions, beginning to end.
enjoying the day with me
Nerves, excitement, anxiety, sheer adrenaline, exhilaration, fear, awe, enjoyment, satisfaction...
The driver instructor in the car with me had nothing but good things to say about how I drove the power packed machine around the 1.5 mile racetrack.  He gave me a thumbs up on several laps when I hit the marks...and kept the car right where it was supposed to be on the track.  (Insert big smile from me here.)
I had a sense of being totally out of control inside moments of confidence and pride for being behind the wheel.
I had a sense of being in control inside moments of being so totally out of my element.
I'm proud of myself for doing it...my knees were shaking as I came to a stop and switched the engine off.
watching Mama drive
The finish line was crossed, so to speak.  I did not know I had it in me to drive a car with such power at such speeds.    
It was a good day of driving.
A birthday gift that I'll never forget!

Comments

  1. Wow!! That is super cool :) So glad you had such an awesome time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOOOOO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! We were going to do this for my son this year for his birthday but decided to wait a bit longer. He sure loves going to the track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Aurie & Gina! It was awesome...something I'll never forget!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness!!! Yikes! I can't imagine! Our son in law and his dad did this and loved it! How awesome that you did it!

    Blessings & Aloha!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

L.E.N.S. photo challenge: learning spaces

 Join in on the photo challenge fun at Home Is Where You Start From . 

#TransformationTuesday

"But God has surely listened and has heard my prayer."  Psalm 66:19 As one who has struggled with weight all of my life, seeing the ups and downs in jean sizes became my reality.  I would lose some pounds only to face a stressor in life and see them return and bring friends along for the ride.  I spent years believing lies, yet secretly hoping for a better reality.  Lies that I am not capable of overcoming my sweet tooth and that I am just not the workout type, topped the list.  I have never really lacked self esteem or self confidence; I know who I am.  However, I know from personal experience, others define me by what they first see.  Having been a plus-size lady for years, I was treated differently, intentionally or not, when I dropped pounds. My health journey to where I am today began back in 2010. It is amazing that things do not happen accidentally, even if they seem to in the beginning. Actually, as the pieces of my story have come together, this story begins w

anchored

My word for 2018.  Anchored. To keep from drifting. Representative of stability and strength. Connected. Held.  Grounded.  Positioned.  Fixed. Movable. Small, yet, essential part of a bigger entity. It is a standard by which to live; a goal for which to strive. Anchored.