Skip to main content

just one?

Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above,
where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.
For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.
When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.
Colossians 3:1-4

There is a meme on facebook these days.  People update their status with their favorite Bible verse and then tag a few people to do the same.  Now, if you know anything about me, you could probably tell me back my favorite verses over time.  They were the same for years and years.  And, I still love to go back and read and remember what was going on in life when the Holy Spirit lifted those passages off the pages and straight into my heart. Passages such as John 3:16-17, Jeremiah 29:11-14, Psalm 40:5, Isaiah 48:17 (really, the entire book...spent years studying it in Sunday School, but that's a story in and of itself), Romans 8:28, and so many, many more.
Yesterday, I was tagged.  One of yesterday's gifts was the joy of trying to figure out which favorite verse to share.  But, because I was a slacker in posting and chose to go to sleep versus writing about my gifts of the day, I am writing about them this morning.  (I was tagged again this morning from another person, so it is now a 2-for-1 post.)
As I thought and thought about verses that have moved me in one way or another in my walk with Christ, God's Word spoke to my heart over and over again with His promises, characteristics, forgiveness, help, joy, and redemption.  What a gift!  
Above is Colossians 3:1-4.  I am drawn to these verses for various reasons at this time in my life.  
Verse 1 reminds me of whose I am and where I stand, so to speak.  I am risen with the resurrected Christ.  My heart is to be centered on Him.
Verse 2 draws my mind upward and off of my current circumstances.
Verse 3 recognizes that my life, and all of its ups and downs, is (as I see it) protected by Christ Himself.  I am no longer on my own.  He has me in the palm of His hand as I endure the pathways of life.  Nothing touches me that is not first seen...felt...allowed...by Christ.  
Verse 4 is my favorite.  It holds my true identity.  Christ is my life.  All that I am or want to become is found in Him.  And, because of this, my life after this life is with Him.  The hope of eternity lies with Him and in Him.
This passage helped me tremendously the past few months in keeping perspective on my circumstances.  God is good to provide such hope and peace when new paths are to be taken.  He lights the way as I need it in the here and now, but also illuminates the distant future which He also ordains.  Most poetically written in  the KJV... 
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
Pslam 119:105
No extra charge for the bonus verse.
Blessings!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

L.E.N.S. photo challenge: learning spaces

 Join in on the photo challenge fun at Home Is Where You Start From . 

#TransformationTuesday

"But God has surely listened and has heard my prayer."  Psalm 66:19 As one who has struggled with weight all of my life, seeing the ups and downs in jean sizes became my reality.  I would lose some pounds only to face a stressor in life and see them return and bring friends along for the ride.  I spent years believing lies, yet secretly hoping for a better reality.  Lies that I am not capable of overcoming my sweet tooth and that I am just not the workout type, topped the list.  I have never really lacked self esteem or self confidence; I know who I am.  However, I know from personal experience, others define me by what they first see.  Having been a plus-size lady for years, I was treated differently, intentionally or not, when I dropped pounds. My health journey to where I am today began back in 2010. It is amazing that things do not happen accidentally, even if they seem to in the beginning. Actually, as the pieces of my story have come together, this story begins w

3 in 30 Check In: Minor Technicalities

Having a great month...getting things accomplished and finding myself excited that the newness of 2011 hasn't worn off yet is so awesome. Closets are all cleaned out but mine...getting to the last one of six feels great and I cannot wait to rummage through it. As for making it to the Y three times...thanks to our ice and a minor back injury , that hasn't happened, but I have a chance tomorrow and Saturday to make it there at least twice this week.  So looking forward to it, even if I walk a little funny getting there. And, there are plans in the making of a new endeavor for me to use a newly acquired skill to bless others.  Baby steps of hope in the right direction. And, I've had a chance to think ahead to next month's goals...can't wait!  Thank you, God, for a wonderful week!