Skip to main content

30 DoT: {day 15} a recipe

I am so thankful for Mom and Grandma who took the time to teach me the way around a kitchen!  They wrote down several of our family favorite recipes and I still use them today...and hope to for years to come.  They also taught me how to make do with what I have and make something good out of it.
Grandma always made the best pies when I was growing up.  No one does it like Grandma...but I hope I am close to getting as good as she was!  (Although Grandma is still with us, she doesn't make pie anymore.)
My favorite recipe that I have is for grape pie.  We had two different recipes growing up, but the one Grandma wrote down for me is the one I always use.
It reminds me of several things to be thankful for when I make it...
Grandma who wrote the recipe down for me when I went away to college.
Mom who still gathers grapes for me when they are ripe and freezes them for me.
My aunt, Lavone, who sprays and takes care of the grape vines so they produce wonderful, round purple balls of greatness for the pie!
Family and friends who request the pie to be made...I have a habit of holding onto the grapes in the freezer for a "special" occasion.  They remind me that any day is special enough for grape pie.  It really is that good!

Grandma's Grape Pie
1 1/2 lbs. Concord grapes
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tblsp. lemon juice
1 1/2 Tblsp. melted butter
Topping:
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter

Skin grapes and set skins aside.  Bring pulp to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.  Press through a sieve to remove seeds.  Add skins.  In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour and salt.  Add lemon juice, melted butter, and pulp mixture.  Stir well and pour into one deep dish 9 inch pie crust.
Topping:  Sift together flour and sugar.  Cut in butter until crumbly.  Sprinkle over pie mixture.  Bake at 400°  about 40 minutes or until set in the middle.

Date pudding, pumpkin pie squares, homemade noodles, Thanksgiving dressing, raisin cookies, raisin pie, date cookies, or about 50 other recipes could also take the #1 spot of my favorite recipes...just sayin'...  :)

Comments

  1. This sounds soooo good. I've only had grape pie one time ever and it was SO yummy. This might be a silly question, but....can concord grapes be purchased in a grocery store? I don't recall ever seeing them.

    Be sure to tell grandma how much that recipe (and she) means to you. Two wonderful treasures for sure.
    Blessings,
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Toni! I have never seen Concord grapes in the produce aisle, either. Maybe a farmer's market in season...but I am just guessing. Grandma and Grandpa still grow their own.
    Hope you find some!
    Janet

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

L.E.N.S. photo challenge: learning spaces

 Join in on the photo challenge fun at Home Is Where You Start From . 

#TransformationTuesday

"But God has surely listened and has heard my prayer."  Psalm 66:19 As one who has struggled with weight all of my life, seeing the ups and downs in jean sizes became my reality.  I would lose some pounds only to face a stressor in life and see them return and bring friends along for the ride.  I spent years believing lies, yet secretly hoping for a better reality.  Lies that I am not capable of overcoming my sweet tooth and that I am just not the workout type, topped the list.  I have never really lacked self esteem or self confidence; I know who I am.  However, I know from personal experience, others define me by what they first see.  Having been a plus-size lady for years, I was treated differently, intentionally or not, when I dropped pounds. My health journey to where I am today began back in 2010. It is amazing that things do not happen accidentally, even if they seem to in the beginning. Actually, as the pieces of my story have come together, this story begins w

anchored

My word for 2018.  Anchored. To keep from drifting. Representative of stability and strength. Connected. Held.  Grounded.  Positioned.  Fixed. Movable. Small, yet, essential part of a bigger entity. It is a standard by which to live; a goal for which to strive. Anchored.