Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Mother's Day

May 12, 2013
Nothing says "Happy Mother's Day" better than a wake up at 5:30 in the morning by your son who is barely able to speak, yet when he does it's in a horrible screeching, croupy loud whisper because his throat is swollen and sore.  Tim had me scared when he came to my bedside and was in pain and was having trouble breathing.  Like, "I'm giving you 10 minutes to get better or I'm driving you to the ER", scared.
His croupy cough and wheezing even woke my mom up.  She helped me find some medicine I had purchased on an earlier visit and left there for a "just in case" scenario such as this.
After I gave him some medicine, rubbed him down with Vicks, and gave him a cough drop to soothe his sore throat he settled down and began breathing easier.  I had a feeling that his anxiety level was pretty high and having an effect on him catching his breath.
As I looked up on-line the hours for the only urgent care facility open on Sundays, Tim settled in beside me and I could hear his breathing return to normal, outside of a stuffy nose.  I have listened carefully to my baby's breathing ever since he had RSV around 6 weeks comes naturally to lend an ear his way when he's not feeling well.
The rest of Mother's Day morning was spent with Alex at church with my family while Tim and I were both checked out at the medical center.  I figured since I was there and had been feeling the sinus pressure for a week already, I might as well save myself a trip later on.
Good thing I did.
Tim was diagnosed with a sinus infection and a chest that sounded like it could lend its way toward bronchitis.  He was prescribed an antibiotic and given a breathing treatment on site.
I, on the otherhand, was diagnosed with the same things but prescribed an antibiotic and given a steroid shot on site.  Lucky me.  I was on a short road to bronchitis.  I took the shot because..."Bronchitis!...Ain't nobody got time for that!"  (Yeah, I went there.)
Made it to my sister's in time for lunch.  I was spent after lunch and took a Mom's Day was wonderful!
Today's gifts...
A day spent with family, especially my mom, on this first Mother's Day without Grandma.
Two wonderful boys who gave me the privilege to celebrate this day.
An intuition to give the medicine a chance to work before rushing out the door in the dark to an ER.
Medicine that headed us out on the road to a quick recovery.
Memories made.

No comments:

Post a Comment